New York City is unlike any other place in the world, so it’s no surprise that moving to the concrete jungle presents a variety of new and sometimes frustrating challenges. While you may think that some of the things you encounter on a regular basis seem a little strange, you should know that you’re not alone, and pretty much everyone that moves to this magnificent city is bound to run into the same common experiences associated with living in New York City.
Here are 30 Things That Will Happen When You Move to NYC:
1. You will come loathe gawking, slow-paced tourists.
2. You will avoid Times Square like the black plague.
3. You will accept the fact that your $1,200 studio apartment is the size of a walk in closet.
4. And you will be thankful you opted for the elevator apartment instead of the slightly bigger 5 floor walk up.
5. You will do everything in your power to avoid the evil clipboard people in Union Square..
6. And you will ignore every person that tries to hand you a flyer.
7. You will have a small panic attack the first time you see how much groceries cost at Whole Foods.
8. You will curse at and/or flip off cabs that nearly run you over when you are jaywalking.
9. And possibly get a violation from the Jaywalking Referee.
10. You will wait an eternity on the checkout line at Trader Joe’s.
11. You will think you found your soulmate..until you realize they don’t live in the same borough as you.
12. Then you will inevitably end up being single like the rest of the city.
13. You will wait for over an hour to get a table at a good brunch spot..
But even so, you know it’s still probably faster than waiting for the G train.
14. You will realize that Pranna is the most overrated brunch party in the city.
If you don’t believe us, just ask this guy; His Dad owns half of Manhattan.
15. You will smell things that no human should ever have to endure.
16. You will see rats, mice and cockroaches at some point.
17. You will discover the heavenly triangle that is the dollar slice..also known as you best friend when you leave the bar at 4am.
18. Seamless will become your savior when you wake up the next day with the hangover from hell, and also the reason why you haven’t turned on your oven in the past 6 months..or even learned how to cook for that matter.
19. You wil stop caring about what other people think about you.
20. You will incessantly talk about the weather to anyone willing to listen.
21. You will develop a strong hatred for Time Warner Cable.
22. And develop an addiction to Netflix during the two weeks it takes for TWC to actually show up for their appointment.
23. You will form a strange fear of things falling on your head, like the mysterious drip, an air conditioner or a flying buzz saw.
24. Not to mention you will fear getting kicking in the head during “Showtime” on the subway.
25. You will become obsessed with pumpkin spice in the fall.
26. Your closet will turn progressively black.
27. You will realize that going to a nightclub on any major holiday is extremely overrated.
28. Strange things on the subway will no longer faze you.
29. Or, anywhere in the city for that matter.
30. You will inevitably fall in love with New York City, since after all, it is the greatest city in the world.
By: Kaylin Pound
Looking for more things New York City culture, check out 23 Things New Yorker’s Love to Complain About!