Life in New York City tends to move at a pretty fast pace, so living in this bustling metropolis can at times be a bit hectic and overwhelming, especially if you are new to the city.
When you leave your apartment each morning, you are forced to make a series of decisions that can either make your day run smoothly, or make you want to curse out everyone around you and go find a corner to cry in. But don’t worry; we have your back. To make the best out of everyday life in the concrete jungle, you should probably consider avoiding these certain daily decisions.
Here are 33 Things You Shouldn’t Do in NYC:
1. Buy a sandwich from Subway.
This is NYC, go to a deli and get a real sandwich.
2. But don’t go to Katz’s Deli.
It’s super overrated, not to mention overpriced and full of tourists.
3. Get into that empty subway car during rush hour.
Trust me, there’s a reason why no one else is in it. At best the A/C doesn’t work, at worst it’s probably the “poo car”.
4. Take a CD that is offered to you by a aspiring rapper/con-artist in Time Square.
Unless of course, you’re ready to pay up or get beat up by his crew waiting around the corner.
5. For the love of God, please don’t wear an “I <3 NY” shirt.
If you absolutely must buy one, that’s fine. Just wait until you are no longer in NYC to wear it.
6. Also, don’t wear a Red Sox jersey in the Bronx.
You’re not in Boston anymore; this is Yankee territory.
7. Unless you are using an app like Uber, avoid non-yellow taxis in Manhattan.
They usually charge you half of your paycheck to go about 20 blocks.
8. Go to a parade on a major holiday.
You will spend several hours standing still, not seeing anything and then spending an eternity trying to get home.
9. Eat out in the Meatpacking District on Friday or Saturday night.
It is sure to be loaded with a bunch of bridge and tunnels.
10. Buy weed in Washington Square Park.
Nine out of ten times you’ll end up with a bag of oregano.
11. Wear anything besides rain boots after a major snowstorm.
Unless, of course, you enjoy soggy, cold feet.
12. Talk to strangers during your morning commute.
Seriously, no one wants to make small talk with you on the subway at 7 am.
13. Go to that questionable after hours party, after you leave the club at 4 am.
You will immediately regret this decision when you sober up several hours later in depths of a sketchy, underground club in Queens. Not to mention, sh*t always tends to get weird at after hours.
14. Use an ATM inside of a store that doesn’t accept credit cards.
Chances are, there’s a bank that won’t charge you a $3 fee within a 2 block radius.
15. Make eye contact with people when walking down the street.
Some may interpret this as being overly aggressive.
16. Eat at a chain restaurant like Olive Garden in Times Square.
First of all, Times Square is literally hell on Earth; and second, New York City is the mecca of every type of cuisine you could ever think of, so why would you eat at a restaurant that you have in your hometown? Be a little adventurous.
17. Use the subway to transport your furniture on moving day.
Bikes on the subway are bad enough, let alone a bookcase, a lamp and a mattress.
18. Try to go to multiple parties on a holiday such as Halloween or NYE.
You’ll spend more time trying to find a cab than you will spend at any of the parties.
19. Use Tinder when you get home from the bar at 4am.
Just order Seamless and go to sleep, you’ll thank yourself in the morning.
20. Stop in the middle of the sidewalk.
Unless of course, you are trying to enrage the people behind you.
21. The same goes for abruptly stopping at the top of the subway stairs to “get your bearings”.
There are people behind you, get out of the way!
22. Trust any real estate listing or apartment ad on Craigslist.
Downtown Manhattan? Oh, you mean Jersey City. Or, how about an apartment on the Upper West Side aka 157th Street?
23. Go to a club on any major holiday.
Unless you like waiting in line, paying to get into a club you normally go to for free, and being surrounded by annoying tourists. Opt, for a lounge or a “house” party instead, you’ll thank yourself and save some cash.
24. Go to any party in Jersey.
No thank you, Hoboken no jokin’. You can’t even use the same Metrocard to get there.
25. Leave the house without an umbrella on a questionably cloudy day.
You’re pretty much guaranteed to get caught in a downpour without a subway or free cab in sight, and it will of course also be the one day you didn’t wear waterproof mascara.
26. Tell a cab driver where you are going before you get in the cab, especially between 4 pm and 5 pm.
If you get in, they can’t tell you “ No, I’m only going to Brooklyn because I have to go back to my garage”.
27. Think you can make it through the summer without air conditioning in your apartment.
At some point it’s going to get so hot, you might actually spontaneously combust.
28. Date a Wall Street guy.
Chances are if he’s young and successful, he’s probably dating you, along with 3 other girls.
29. Assume it is safe to cross the street because someone else does.
There’s a good chance you will get run over by a speeding taxi.
30. Walk in the bike lane.
While you are safe from taxis, you will probably get run down by a Seamless man or a Citi bike instead.
31. Ride your bike in the bus lane.
This will hurt even more than violating #30.
32. Underestimate the depth of that disgusting, slushy puddle next to the sidewalk.
Chances are, it is so deep your foot may surface on the other side of the earth in China.
33. Forget to explore the other boroughs.
There’s more to the city than just Manhattan so find your sense of adventure and check out the other boroughs once in a while!
By: Kaylin Pound
Looking for more NYC tips? Check out the Ultimate Metrocard Money Saving Hack!